I'd heard a lot of people talking about this "wonder oil" and my Mum had tried it out in the hair salon and raved about it, so when I came across a small vial of it in a beauty supply shop, I thought I'd give it a go!
So, what is Argan Oil?
- Argan oil is produced from the kernels of the Argan tree.
- It's known for its nutritive, cosmetic and medicinal properties.
What kind of nutritive, cosmetic and medicinal properties?
- Well, Argan oil contains twice as much Vitamin E as olive oil.
- It can also play a part in the prevention of heart disease, cancer, bowel disorders and inflammatory disorders.
Sounds good! What about it's cosmetic value?
- Well, that's what I'm going to be looking into!
For a while now, "argan oil" has been the new buzzword among celebrities (including Taylor Swift and Salma Hayek) and beauty gurus alike. This "miracle oil" is claimed to be able to condition hair, help to mend split ends and even add beautiful shine.
There are also those who claim that Argan oil can help to reduce the signs of aging and even heal scar tissue.
So my plan is this:
I'm going to trial Argan oil for the next 2 weeks on my hair, applying the recommended amount once a day and seeing if I notice any benefits or overall improvements in my hairs condition.
This sized bottle (100ML) cost me £12.99 and before you all recoil in horror, I'd already tried out a trial sized vial earlier this afternoon to be sure it was worth investing so much money into.
The bottle recommends 4-5 pumps for long, thick hair so I'll be sticking to that recommendation.
Now, here's the difficult bit.
As you may or may not know, I am a vegan and in all honesty, I've had a pretty hard job trying to find out about the ingredients/ethics behind this product.
What I have found out though is this:
- "All argan sold today is produced by a women's cooperative that shares the profits among the local women of the Berber tribe."
- When looked up, all of the ingredients listed on the side of the bottle seem to come from synthetic materials.
- And finally, "It is organic, natural and proven to be effective for skin care treatment compared to other commercial chemical products which need “animal testing” to prove they are good." which implies that the oil itself was not tested on any animals. The report this quote was taken from also contains a graphic of a rabbit with the caption "No animal testing!"
Obviously, I would be interested in hearing from anyone what they know about Argan Oil and it's ethical policies, but after some thorough research, I've found out enough to reassure myself this is a product I am willing to support.
Look out for the follow up post to this one in 2 weeks time, detailing my experience with this product, as well as before, during and after shots of my hair.
For reference, here all the website where all information used in this post were sourced from:
Love always,
Jemma Maeve x

2 comments:
Coconut oil is good too!
You should try to do a 30 day no shampoo challenge and keep up with the oil!!
Hey Crissy :) I saw some coconut oil today actually and it was considerably cheaper! I might have to give it a go when my Argan oil runs out.
I couldn't go 30 days without shampoo! I wash my hair every single day, I hate feeling like it's greasy. The Argan oil is actually working quite well so far, my hair's already feeling much smoother and it doesn't get so 'flyaway' so easily :) xxx
Post a Comment